Table of Contents
As the Russia-Ukraine war enters its 88th working day, we consider a seem at the main developments.
Listed here are the essential events so far on Sunday, Might 22.
Get the most up-to-date updates here.
- Russia pounded Ukrainian forces with air strikes and artillery in the east and the south, concentrating on command centres, troops, and ammunition depots, the Russian defence ministry claimed.
- Russian forces are intensifying efforts to capture Severodonetsk, the final Ukrainian strongpoint in the jap Luhansk region.
- Luhansk Governor Serhiy Haidai stated the only operating hospital in Severodonetsk has just three medical doctors and materials for 10 days.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned the Russian army was also attacking the city of Sloviansk, in the Donetsk, but Ukrainian forces have been keeping off its progress in both of those key centres. Sloviansk is critical to Russia’s goal of capturing all of japanese Ukraine.
- Russia claims to have taken prisoner practically 2,500 Ukrainian fighters from the besieged Azovstal steel plant, and problems have grown about their destiny.
- Moscow introduced movie of Russian troops using into custody Serhiy Volynskyy, commander of the Ukrainian Navy’s 36th Unique Maritime Brigade, which was a single of the principal forces defending Azovstal.
- A popular member of Russia’s parliament, Leonid Slutsky, reported Moscow was researching the possibility of exchanging the Azovstal fighters for Viktor Medvedchuk, a rich Ukrainian with near ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin who faces prison prices in Ukraine.
- The Ukrainian mayor of Mariupol warned it is struggling with a health and fitness and sanitation “catastrophe” from mass burials in shallow pits throughout the ruined city as perfectly as the breakdown of sewage devices.
- The Russian military services has claimed it ruined a major consignment of Western arms in Ukraine’s Zhytomyr location, west of Kyiv, applying sea-introduced Kalibr cruise missiles.
- Russian missiles also struck fuel storage facilities around Odesa on the Black Sea coast and shot down two Ukrainian Su-25 aircraft and 14 drones, the armed forces mentioned.
- Ukraine has dominated out agreeing to a ceasefire with Russia and said Kyiv would not accept any offer with Moscow that involved ceding territory.
- Zelenskyy reported his place is well prepared to exchange Russian prisoners of war for its troops who surrendered at the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol.
- US President Joe Biden signed a invoice to give nearly $40bn in aid for Ukraine as aspect of initiatives to strengthen navy assistance in excess of Russia’s invasion, the White Residence said.
- Polish President Andrzej Duda arrived in Ukraine on an unannounced take a look at and will tackle the country’s parliament on Sunday.
- Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa stated he pressed Western nations for many-launch rocket programs, which he reported “just stand still” in other nations around the world still are important to Ukraine’s achievements.
- In an job interview with the Telegraph, British international secretary Liz Truss stated she would like to see Ukraine’s neighbour Moldova “equipped to NATO standard” to guard in opposition to any threats from Russia.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has objected to Sweden and Finland becoming a member of NATO, held cellphone calls with the leaders of the two international locations and mentioned his issues about “terrorist” groups there.
- Zelenskyy mentioned he talked to Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi and stressed the relevance of far more sanctions on Russia and unblocking Ukrainian ports.
- Russian electrical power huge Gazprom halted gas exports to neighbouring Finland, the latest escalation of an electricity payments dispute with Western nations.
- Russia’s transportation minister mentioned Western-backed sanctions have “practically broken” logistics in the country.